In response to recent digital photo sharing concerns in local schools, Mondovi Police Department Officer Adam Julson and University of Wisconsin – Extension Youth and Families Extension Educator, Annie Lisowski, partnered to provide resources to students and their families. On Monday, March 26 middle school and high school students at Cochrane-Fountain City School participated in internet safety education in a school assembly centered on:
- Teen brain research related to internet safety and impulse
- Students protecting their privacy and reputation online
- How gender stereotypes play out in social media
- Potential long term impacts of sexting and sharing private, personal photos
- Responses to inappropriate images or texts one receives
Along with the presentation, parents received a family tip sheet that outlines ways one can follow-up with conversations with their child at home about necessary expectations and boundaries surrounding their phones and other digital devices.